With the Wisconsin Off Road Series condensing to just a 10 race season, down from 12 in past years, the 25th season began in a familiar location returning to Iola. With a shortened schedule, WORS was able to commence a few weeks later in mid-May. Known for its fast single track and punchy climbs, Iola saw some course modifications from previous years with the removal of “the wall” climb on one of the back fire roads. This removal was nicely supplemented with recently cut, tighter single track through the pines. With a high sand content, speed and traction were not in short supply on the dry trails. Despite the later start in the year, temperatures on Saturday only reached a chilly high of 45F and felt lower without the sun. Luckily, race day saw temperatures just shy of 60F in the afternoon and brought back clear skies. Perfect conditions for a great series opener!
As membership continues to grow in 2016, no start shoot was missing the blue and white kits of Vision and its affiliated shop teams. With members across all categories, Vision was able to make its presence known on the course as well as the podiums.
With one of Vision’s core values being to promote youth cycling, the youngest Wheel & Sprocket members had a very strong showing to start off the year. A big congratulations to the Junior ladies sweeping the overall podium!
- Charis Guerra 1st in age group for Junior Females age 9 AND 1st overall!
- Brianna Fletcher 1st in age group for Junior Females age 10 AND 2nd overall!
- Isaac Johnson 1st in age group for Junior Males age 12 AND 12th overall
- James Wardle 3rd in age group for Junior Males age 9 AND 28th overall
Not to be easily outdone by the youngest competitors were Vision Cat 1 Juniors with phenomenal finishes. A huge shout out to McKenna for securing 1st place in what was a fairly close finish! Same to Nick, even with a cleat breaking mid-race, showing his determination by refusing to let that slow him down and taking 2nd! Read his full race report here!
- McKenna Dwyer 1st in age group for Cat 1 Junior Females AND 1st overall!
- Nick Sdrenka 2nd in age group for Cat 1 Junior Male AND 3rd overall!
Category 2 and 3 Results
With a few category move ups this year, racers in Citizen, Sport and Comp appear to be off to a great start as well:
- Asa Guerra 2nd in age group for Cat 3 Females AND 4th overall!
- Dean Wardle 3rd in age group for Cat 3 Males AND 55th overall
- Todd Fletcher 1st in age group for Cat 2 Sport Males AND 29th overall!
- Elijah Johnson 2nd in age group for Cat 2 Sport Males AND 36th overall!
- Steve Lipski 2nd in age group for Cat 2 Comp Males AND 52nd overall!
Elite Team Results
Closing out a beautiful day of racing with great finishes were Vision power couple, Nathan and Lindsay Guerra:
Lindsay with a 3rd overall for Women’s Elite
Nathan Guerra taking 2nd overall for Men’s Elite
Other Elite Team finishers:
- Matt Paterson 5th in age group for Cat 1 Elite Males AND 28th overall
- Brian Paterson 6th in age group for Cat 1 Elite Males AND 29th overall
Remaining Vision Wheel & Sprocket team member finishes
- Lucas Fletcher 13th in age group for Cat 3 Males AND 81st overall
- Joshua Wardle 10th in age group for Cat 3 Males AND 64th overall
- Kyle Johnson 7th in age group for Cat 3 Males AND 70th overall
- Bryon Anderson 6th in age group for Cat 2 Sport Males AND 71st overall
- Julien Henry 9th in age group for Cat 2 Sport Males AND 74th overall
- Walter Sdrenka 12th in age group for Cat 2 Sport Males AND 87th overall
- Dave Gavinski 4th in age group for Cat 2 Sport Clydesdale AND 10th overall
Thank you to all Vision members who came out Sunday and we look forward to seeing you in three weeks at WORS #2 Battle of Camrock!